I was restoring a Virtual Machine with Veeam Backup and Recovery, which seemed to be successful the VM won’t start and gave me the following error:
Failed to open ‘virtual machine disk’:
The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created.
Other / similar errors:
- Failed to open ‘virtual machine disk’ with flags 0xe (The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created)
- Failed to open (The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created)
- DISKLIB-LINK : Attach: Content ID mismatch (7b7644b2 != 4f5a6761)
- DISKLIB-LINK : Attach: the capacity of each link is different (83886080 != 46399652).
- Enable SSH on the vSphere server and log in with your admin/root account.
- Go to the folder where the affected VM is stored ( /vmfs/volumes/… )
- Open the vmdk file ( vi <vmserver>.vmdk )
- Take a note of the CID value
- Close vi ( :q )
- Open the <vmserver>-001.vmdk
- Check the parentCID, this should point to the CID
- If this is not the CID value, change it, press i (insert) and change the value, press escape and :w :q (write and quit)
- This has to be done for every extra disk in the virtual machine
- Check if server starts!