Allthough there are a few tips about this little error message it took me two or three minutes to find to solution and get it working againg.
This error occured at a vSphere server with a tape unit attached, which obviously wasn’t working anymore so i replaced it with another unit.
At that point the vSphere server presented me the following error:
vSphere: Incompatible device backing specified for device ‘0’
- First step is to remove the old tape unit from the Virtual Machine and apply the changes.
- Next i did a rescan on the Storage adapter card to find the new HP Tape unit.
- Last step is to Add the SCSI device to the affected server again and apply the hardware change.
All set !